The Fundamentals that Schools don't teach us

The most fundamental lessons are learnt outside the school.



It's the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 final today. My team couldn't make it to the finals in spite of playing exceptional cricket throughout the league phase. I thought it's the best time to write something about it and how sports play a major role in shaping an individual. Having played professional sports myself, I thought it is a great idea to share my insights about sports and how it has shaped me as an individual.

Education is a very important part of life. It is essential for an individual to learn skills. And that is what schools mostly provide utmost! Yes. That's what it actually is. A lot of lessons essential for LIFE are usually learnt in an open field, a swimming pool or even on a ping pong table like in my case ! :D


Following are some reasons why I feel it is absolutely necessary for any child to pursue a sport! These are the most important things I learnt which can be applied to your career and professional life. And believe me, it makes a lot of sense to me.

  • Never give up - That's what you learn from a sport. There's always a next time to try and succeed in anything you want. School said I should never fail in the first place.
  • Stay humble - You might have won today. It takes all the more effort to stay there and maintain that. Humility is key to this. Schools usually produce arrogant toppers.
  • Don't lose heart - You might have lost today. But it does not have to stay that way. You can always come back bigger than ever before! School said once I fail, I have very little to do next.
  • Stay hungry - Sport gives you the mindset where you are looking for bigger better results all the time! School gives us a mindset to settle for a perceived limitation.
  • Love and respect for what you do - Sport taught me how to love and respect what I do. School assignments are usually forced.
  • Coping with unexpected losses - Sport taught me to cope with losses. Sometimes in spite of the efforts, we fail. School left me in a mess and clueless when I lost.
  • Bold and calculated decisions - Sport taught me how to make decisions based on the situation. Things don't often go as planned. That's when decisions are all the more important. School never even left me in such a situation in the first place.
  • Respect your competitors - Sport taught me to respect my rivals and their efforts. School rarely has such instances.
School leaves us in an illusion where it feels like everything is well and fine. Sports teach us the reality of life and how to cope with it. An added advantage of sport is the physical wellness of the body. But sports is more of mental activity than physical. The body does exactly what the mind orders it to do. And that is how it is a mental activity. What are your thoughts? School or Sport? Leave a comment... And stay tuned for more :D Share if you feel it's worth a read!


Comments

  1. Well said Rahul,
    Facts being pointed out here. Loved your point of view. Sports bring out the best in us instead of saying casually 'Be sportive' in class or to friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance and Benefits of Mentorship

How startups can leverage Data for Success

Personal Branding for Professional Success